Saturday, September 20

only the lonely

It's been very quiet this past week. Business always falls off a bit after Labor Day when people stop traveling quite so much, but recent developments on 82nd Avenue have also contributed to the quiet.
 
I noticed it the week before last, when Kitty (an older regular who is a working girl) got a call while she was in the lobby having me reset her keys. She told me that it was her "boyfriend" (read: pimp), telling her there were several busts on 82nd, and not to go out til later.
 
Then the police started coming 'round more regularly. They've been in short supply here this summer; up until May or June, they were cruising our parking lot five or six times a night--and that just during my shift!--and coming in several times a night to get guest rosters and ask questions about people we may have seen.
 
I'm curious to see whether this is a lasting change or not. Until then, I've only got Barry Hunter to keep me busy.

No comments: